Benefits and protections for Active Duty Service Members
If you are an active duty service member, you may be eligible to receive a number of benefits and protections on the loans you obtained prior to entering into active duty military service. This relief is authorized by the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). If you submit a request and meet certain eligibility requirements, you may qualify to have the interest rate on eligible loans reduced to a maximum rate of 6% while you are on active duty. For loans secured by real estate, you may also be eligible to receive an interest rate reduction for a twelve month period after leaving the service. SCRA also provides protections against foreclosure and repossession. To learn more about these benefits and protections, please visit https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/service-members-veterans-resource-guide.
Benefits and protections are available on the following products*
- Mortgage and home equity loans and lines of credit
- Consumer loans and lines of credit
- Commercial and small business loans and lines of credit
* Loan products are eligible for benefits and protections only if the loans were entered into prior to active duty service.
Who is eligible to obtain SCRA benefits and protections?
- Active duty service members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard
- Members of the National Guard, serving under a call to active duty authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense
- Commissioned officers of the Public Health Service or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
How to submit materials to apply for SCRA benefits from NBT Bank and obtain further information:
- Send your request for relief along with a copy of your military orders indicating that you are on Active Duty or have been called up for Active Duty to the address below. We will review your request and notify you of your eligibility.
NBT Bank, NA
52 S. Broad Street
Norwich, NY 13815